13 January 2011

The Morning After...

26 December started off easily enough, but I couldn't take it anymore.  Less than 48 hours after unwrapping Mr. Beer, I had to start brewing...

My girlfriend and I proceeded to spend the next hour or two cramped in my kitchen, trying to get the first brew underway.  My basic kit came with a West coast pale ale, enough extract and booster to make 8.5 US quarts of beer.  I carefully read, and re-read all of the directions (a huge milestone for a guy), and with great care, sanitized all of the equipment I was going to use.  Dissolved the booster in water, boiled, added the hopped malt extract, and added the wort to the cold water in my keg already.  I stirred, let the mixture settle in temperature, then pitched the yeast.  The whole process was probably only 60 minutes, but it felt like much less.  Before I knew it, the yeast was mixed in with the beer mixture, and I was ready to hurry up and wait.  I left the beer to ferment in the keg for two weeks, and on 9 January, I was ready to bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment